CVS Speakup Observations

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Wed Apr 30 14:41:32 EDT 2003

Hi Steve and all, first of all thank you very much for your praise of
the new speakup.  Hopefully it'll even get better before we take our
next break.

Any bugs you or anyone find you should jot down and then email them to
me.  I or someone else will look into them when we get a chance.
On-the-other-hand if you want to have at them, go ahead!  You can send
me either the diffs or a copy of the fixed file if it's something like
a driver.

On my system the speakup-7 and 8 are the voice options.  I'm not sure
off-hand what they are if anything on the speakout synths.

The delimitor functions allow you to set the word delimitors.  The
default is the comma and period.  I find them very disconcerting as
well so they may just change back to none by default eventually.  You
can edit them by either cat'ing a new delimitor string to the
delimitors /proc file or with the speakup-f7 key.  When you use the
speakup-f7 key you just hit whatever character you want or don't want
to be a word delimitor and it will toggle on and off.  You finish your
editing by tapping the space bar.

We really do need to have someone take on the task of documenting all
this stuff so if you or anyone else would like to volunteer to take
that on it would be great.  Otherwise it'll wait until someone gets
tired of answerring the same questions over and over.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061