a couple of mgetty questions

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Apr 29 15:54:48 EDT 2003

Hi all.

I got the beta release of mgetty, and it compiled, whereas the official release wouldn't compile.

I've got it all set up, but I do have a couple of questions, which I hope someone can answer.

Right now, I'm primarily using it to give myself dial-up access, if I don't have access to a network connection.
The idea is that I'll be dropped into bash, with the option of typing "ppp" should I want that instead.

My questions are as follows.

1. Mgetty allows users to login based on if they're in /etc/passwd or not, from what I understand.
Can I change this in some way, so that only one username would be allowed access, and login attempts under other usernames would be rejected?

2. For the ppp part, I have a ppp group with access to pppd.

In my ~/.profile, I have:

"alias ppp="exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach"

I tried running ppp from a bash prompt at the console, and got:

"/usr/sbin/pppd: By default the remote system is required to authenticate itself
/usr/sbin/pppd: (because this system has a default route to the internet)
/usr/sbin/pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
 "

Then, I'm simply dropped back to the login prompt.

Would this same thing happen when trying to get a ppp connection when I'm remotely logged in?

What I would like to happen when ppp is typed at the prompt is for the system responding
with something like: "entering ppp session ...", and assigning the ip address 192.168.0.5 to the remote machine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg