the future of Linux (was Re: mlb.com)

Thomas D. Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 27 08:40:31 EDT 2003

Hello, Adam. All the things you mentioned are already present in Mandrake
9.1. It isn't a future thing it is already here. Mandrake is extremely
popular with home users right now for those same reasons, you mentioned
below, and Tech TV, and many other places give Mandrake high ratings.
It is true Red Hat is extremely popular in the server market especially with
companies such as Del and IBM, but I've seen on IBM's web site some support
for Mandrake and Suse  Linux as well.
My opinion here is Slackware and  other less known Linux will continue to be
followed by there faithful followers, but for mainstreme public, business,
etc Red Hat and mandrake, and Suse will capture those markets.
As long as there is open source it is not possible for Red Hat to become a
Microsoft. They have huge competition with Suse in Europe, and Mandrake is
growing in popularity as well.