Googling for PAC Mate

William Loughborough love26 at gorge.net
Sat Apr 26 11:01:43 EDT 2003

At 10:29 AM 4/26/2003 -0500, rmann at rmisp.net wrote:
>I don't know if I would want to learn a new system .

Although the idea of change/growth is often daunting, it is actually way
easier/quicker than one first fears.

It's a lot easier to learn one-hand input than to learn about
kernels/compiling and such. I got up to 30 wpm on a one-hand chording
keyboard in less than a month and I'm way past the age when one is supposed
to pick up new stuff easily.

Also, there'd be a socket for plugging in a braille or QWERTY device and
you would be able to use voice dictation as well. But to outline vaporware
features feels very awkward for me since I've only done the various forms
independently and getting all that on one machine will turn out to be
tedious, but doable. So, don't worry your pretty little head about learning
a new technique because this will take a couple years if I last that long.

In summary, I've used one-hand chording, Perkins brailler, QWERTY, and
Dragon Dictate and my usual choice is QWERTY but for portability it sucks
because you have to tote this huge keyboard around with you. Voice is still
on the drawing board as far as I'm concerned although progress is happening
(but it's always still "six months away"). Braille input is OK but I just
never got very good at it and can only read it by visual means (and never
really got beyond Grade I), one-hand chording was great except for the need
for a very specialized device. Since I already knew the other methods, it
seemed easiest to learn for some obscure reason. If size/portability
weren't the central desired features the notebook wins hands down but
they're just too big to tote hence the notion previously outlined.

Don't get me wrong - this is ALL VAPORWARE at this time, but I am confident
it will get done in the fullness of time. I'm just not sure if retrofitting
a PAC Mate with Linux is where it's at, or even where to start, but others
who disagree will certainly try it if given the opportunity.

--
Love.

It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious!