linux notetaker

Mitchell Smith mjs at blitztechnology.net
Wed Apr 23 14:34:46 EDT 2003

I guess the problem with linux based pocket devices would be.

1.  does it have standard sound hardware that could be used for flite etc.

2.  Does it have a pcmcia slot which can be used for supported hardware,
somehow I don't really like the idea of transporting around a doubletalk,
sort of takes away from the idea of a pocket device.

Speaking of which, are any pcmcia synths currently supported by speakup?  I
know my keynote one isn't.

3.  How portable is the speakup kernel patch to other architectures, as I am
assuming that most linux based pocket devices wouldn't be i386 based.

Still I think it would be interesting to look in to this, as I think the
ability to use off the shelf pocket hardware would be a huge advantage over
customized devices such as the packmate, and the pulsedata string of
products.