punctuation delay after restarting dectalk

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Sun Apr 20 20:08:15 EDT 2003

Hi all. Today I had to switch my Dectalk to another machine again, and
when I reconnected the synth to the serial port, I tried out what Kenny
had suggested a while back which was to press some speakup review keys so
that Speakup knows a synth is not present. Once I did this for about 5-10
seconds, I turned the Dectalk back on and pressed numpad zero+numpad
enter. The only difference was that I heard a message that said "Dectalk
restarted." However, I still got the same punctuation delay, in fact I am
getting it now since I haven't rebooted yet. I would prefer to solve this
without having to reboot the machine, as I have had to do in the past.
Does anyone know what could be causing this delay? Also, what is the exact
message that I should hear when Speakup claims to have re-initialized the
Dectalk? Should it be Dectalk restarted, or initialized? I just would like
to make sure I am doing the right thing and am getting the correct
message. Thanks!

May you code in the power of the source,
may the kernel, libraries, and utilities be with you,
throughout all distributions until the end of the epoch.