redhat problems

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net
Thu Apr 17 00:51:57 EDT 2003

Actually, it would be cool if it could be a choice to either compile it in
the kernel or as a module.  A modularized speakup may be more widely
adopted by companies like Redhat, but would lack some of the things we
have come to love about Speakup, such as being able to hear all the boot
messages or to scroll back the console through them.  However, at the same
time, patching it directly into the kernel gives us all the things we
love, but can sometimes cause instabilities and could even distabilize the
kernel, which looks rather unattractive to major companies like Redhat,
who's sighted customers need to be able to trust the reliability of their
kernel as much as we do.  This problem has been solved in a way by
Slackware, who gives us a precompiled Speakup kernel, but the kernel
source is the official kernel.org source without speakup, but is available
for our patching.  Other companies may not want to include 20+ kernels on
their CD's.  Those who use only one kernel need a choice to either include
Speakup in the kernel or as a module, whichever one they feel would
benefit all their customers the most.

Lorenzo

E Pluribus Unix

Luke Davis staggered into view and mumbled: