redhat linux 9 and speakup

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Apr 16 11:27:01 EDT 2003

Ping the broadcast address of your network. An example of how to do this on Linux is:

ifcfg eth0

There are many other ways to get this information, of course. Once you know the broadcast address used on your network, you can ping it. On Red Hat type
systems, do:

ping -b [address]

On Debian, do:

ping [address]

Example:

ping -b 192.168.100.255

You might want to limit this, so you don't get flooded with too much data on screen:

Example:

ping -c 4 -b 192.168.100.255

says "ping the broadcast address 4 times."

On each of those four pings, you'll get a response from each machine that's listening on that address--every machine on the network. It's your job, at
that point, to know which one is the new one that wasn't there before. That's the address you telnet to.