redhat 9.0 howto

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Apr 15 22:40:03 EDT 2003

I don't recall whether anyone answered this, but there's now an easier way than patching and recompiling the kernel. You can use the 'rpm -Uv' command on the Speakup
Modified kernels Bill posted to the web site recently. Look at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/

You've managed to do the hard part, which is getting 9 installed. The rest is quite straight forward.

Be sure to check your lilo.conf, or your grub.conf, as appropriate, to make certain the speakup_synth= parameter is being passed to your kernel. If using lilo, don't
forget to run lilo before you reboot, especially after making modifications to lilo.conf.