Installing Speakup Mods (Part 3)

Doug Sutherland wearable at shawcable.com
Tue Apr 15 08:55:30 EDT 2003

One more not on software synth ...

I have mine booting from lilo with or without speakup.
I used two different kernels and put them both in the
lilo config. It required 2 kernel compilations but
this worked for me:

- applied the speakup kernel patches along with the
   modifications for software synth (usrdev).

- configured the kernel to use default synthesizer
   "usrdev" on boot (no kernel parameters are needed
   at boot time)

- adding this kernel to lilo and called it
   vmlinux-speakup, set it to be the default kernel
   to boot automatically (timeout 30 seconds).

- Then, to make a version without speakup, I did this:

     - saved the kernel .config file
     - did a "make mrproper" in /usr/src/linux
     - copied the .config file back
     - ran "make config"
     - selected N (don't include) speakup
     - did a make bzImage to compile the kernel

- I added this other kernel in lilo configuration to
   be the second kernel in the lilo list. I didn't need
   to recompile the kernel modules since the only thing
   that changed is exclusion of speakup.

This way by default it boot speakup talking to the
software synth, or I can select the same kernel with
no speakup (or a number of other kernels I have set
up ...)

   -- Doug