usrdev driver

Owen Patrick Smith ender3rd at WPI.EDU
Fri Apr 11 12:58:35 EDT 2003

Yes this is a known problem caused by the fact that cat tries to do more
than just read(2) from the usrdev program.  We don't know what that thing
is but cat will fail to work in all cases because of it.  The middleware
program just read()'s from the file, checks for shutup characters, and
spits out the result.  One of these days my partenors or I are going to go
through the code to cat and figure out what's going wrong but we haven't
gotten to it yet.

I'm still trying to get some ideas on what may be going wrong with your
copy.  The festival server script does run festival --server but with a
number of useful setup options some of which I believe are required to get
the middleware program to be able to connect to it correctly.

HtH

Owen