ocrxtr recognision software

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 18:33:52 EDT 2003

I wouldn't suggest jocr AKA gocr for anything except experimentation.  I
can print out a page on my inkjet printer and scan it.  If I try to
recognize it with gocr, the output is mostly underline characters with a
few words.  You can sometimes get the gist of the text with some
imagination.  I have an ancient version of Omnipage PRO under Windows
which does far better.  Granted, there are a lot of options you can pass
to gocr, but they only seem to make things worse.  All the different modes
seem to make no difference.  I would suggest that somebody who understands
how OCR works could seriously improve the software, but I am not that
person.  I have halfway decent programming skills, but no absolutely
nothing about how OCR works.  BTW, where does one obtain this OCRXTRA
program?  Will it run on Slackware, or is it only functional in Redhat?