Speakup/Festival Config Question

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Thu Apr 10 10:23:45 EDT 2003

Owen,

I am having a problem in the final steps of getting
your speakup mods working with festival. The patches
were applied with no errors and the kernel compiled
just fine. I created the usrdev device:

ls -l /dev/usrdev
crwxrwxrwx   1 root root 252, 0  /dev/usrdev

The major device number is 252, which is what is
hardcoded in speakup_usrdev.h

But then I boot I get these messages:

Speakup usrdev: Registered as char device major #0
Speakup usrdev: Minor number is 0
Speakup v-1.00 CVS: initialized

and later I get the message
speakup: initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)

Note that initially the usrdev is listed as major 0 minor 0.
Do you have any idea what might be wrong here?

These are my kernel config options:

CONFIG_SPEAKUP=y
CONFIG_SPEAKUP_USRDEV=y
CONFIG_SPEAKUP_DEFAULT="usrdev"
CONFIG_SPEAKUP_KEYMAP=y

Another issue ... can you please tell me the right commands
to start festival as server and start the middleware program?
If I run festival I get an interactive session. How do I
make it run as server?

If I start festival as usual I get the interactive session
and festival works. I can do (SayText "festival works")
and it speaks fine. If I open another tty and then start
the middleware program I get this message:

Festival server: localhost, on port: 1214 with mode: fundamental
festival_client: connect to server failed
failed to open Festival: connection refused
Speech Error!

Unix sockets and TCP/IP is installed,  and I can ping
localhost, in case that matters ...

Any ideas? I am so close ... but so far ...
Why would the usrdev be major #0?

   -- Doug