Linux distros (was Re: RH9 disks on the net.)

Thomas D. Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 10 13:31:45 EDT 2003

Hi, Adam. As I mentioned in another post we are really comparing apples to
oranges, or two different approaches.
You must enjoy compiling kernels, editing files, and spending lots of time
customizing every little detail on your Linux os.
Sorry, to say but I personally as well as several others around the world
hate spending unneccessary time recompiling kernels or whatever. I would
just assume install an os, get everything working, and leave it alone.
RH/Mandrake have kernels which fit just about every and any situation which
means I've grown vary use to never compiling kernels. Why should I really
have to spend three or four hours of time doing that when I can already be
setup and enjoying my os.
Mandrake also has some edditions to their kernel source which are vary nice.
You can put the kernel in secured mode, and the supermount allows you to
automatically load floppies, cdroms, just by cd into that mount point.
It is something specific to <Mandrake, and I don't know of another distro
which has supermount.
I think many Slack users forget one slight problem. Many average computer
users would never be able to compile a kernel, and would find the task way
too complicated. I don't, but I know of people who would not make it through
make config.
Thus an all purpose kernel  works fantastically for such users. Thus
utilities like supermount simplify everyones lives when you never have to
use mount to mount and unmount drives.