Linux distros (was Re: RH9 disks on the net.)

Doug Sutherland wearable at shawcable.com
Wed Apr 9 18:46:25 EDT 2003

Luke,

 > I then posited, that if such a parameter existed, it should
 > be made possible, during a kernel compile, to change that
 > defaulting to off behavior

With the speakup patches applied, when I run make menuconfig,
I get an option to enter a text string for default synthesizer.
The default value is "none". Perhaps that would do what you
are suggesting?

What it does it give you these options:
- speakup in the kernel (yes/no)
- include which synthesizers
   (you can tick off as many as you want (yes/no)
- then enter the default synth (string value)

The default synth is already "none" by default. In my case
I am changing that to usrdev, which is the software synth
mods for use with festival.

 > such that a "speakup=on" would not be necessary, if the
 > person compiling the kernel *wanted* speakup to be on all
 > of the time, unless they did the converse of the above,
 > and specified a "speakup=off" boot parameter (such as
 > might be necessary, if another family member was booting
 > the system, and didn't want speech).

Hmmm ... looking at slackware's speakup.i kernel config,
the default synthesizer CONFIG_SPEAKUP_DEFAULT is set to
none ...

Are you sure that it's not already set up to do what you
want? I am about to try compiling this with this value,
the default synth, set to usrdev, in the kernel config.
I think that means this is an always on speakup that
talks to the middleware that connects to festival.

If I leave it as "none" then I would need a boot time
parameter I assume, but I'm setting in now before
compiling the kernel.

What I want is lilo option for speakup or not ... but
I will have two different kernels ... maybe that's not
the ideal way ... I will experiment with this ...

  -- Doug