Linux distros (was Re: RH9 disks on the net.)

Doug Sutherland wearable at shawcable.com
Wed Apr 9 14:58:31 EDT 2003

Adam wrote:

 > That's funny that you say that the Slackware kernel doesn't
 > have enough. I find it too bloated still. It has support
 > for RAID, PCMCIA, and other things I don't use.

Yes, the bare default kernel has almost everything included!

 > The first thing I do when I get a fresh copy of Slackware
 > installed is to build a custom kernel.

Me too. It's good that the default includes all of that for
your first boot: it supports almost all hardware. Therefore
it should install from CD on almost anything. But I too do
a kernel compile right away after install.

Patrick uses the unmodified kernel source, ie linus' source,
the stuff from kernel.org ... and I like it that way ... so
if supermount or anything else isn't in the official source
it won't be in slackware ... is it in the official kernel?

   -- Doug