networking PC and laptop

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Mon Apr 7 08:36:03 EDT 2003

You can go wireless with a PC too ... plug in a USB
802.11 device in the PC USB port ... plug a PCMCIA
or USB 802.11 in the laptop. I am using the Actiontec
USB 802.11 and also Linksys ... although they are
tricky to configure (uses linux-wlan drivers from
linux-wlan.org). You can also get PCI wireless cards
for the PC ... the routers are convenient but if the
PC is already there and you have the time/inclination
to set up IP masquerading and firwalling, it's plenty
capable. My friends say good things about some of
these personal router/firewall boxes though because
they are so easy to set up, and they require no
maintenance. On a PC-based router you need to keep
upgrading the software packages or eventually the
hackers will find their way in :(

   -- Doug