not loading the speakup driver

Terry Klarich terry at ki5zw.ampr.org
Sat Apr 5 00:50:14 EST 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:45:25 -0600you write:
>Is theresuch a kernel command line option such as speakup_synth and
>speakup_port that will tell the kernel not to load or initialize speakup?
>Didn't see anything in the faq nor the documentation.

Thanks to those who responded.  I assumed that speakup_synth=none would work.

However, this doesn't appear to be the case.  I am building a utility type machine which will sit in the corner.  It will handle
mail, dns, serving of mp3 files, usenet news and stuff like that.  I don't have a voice synthesizer I would want to dedicate to it.
Rather, I wish to install via the serial console.  The command line I am using is:

linux text console=ttyS0,9600 speakup_synth=none

This does, in fact, work properly until it displays speakup (version): initialized
console: vga 25x80

At this point, all serial console output stops.  Not sure if the machine is actually hung up or not.  Sending a break does nothing,
repeated key combinations on the keyboard seem to do nothing as well.

Any ideas?  I'm sure I am over looking something simple.

THANKS!
Terry