exporting env. variables, problem solved

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Sep 29 18:20:10 EDT 2002

Sure. The problem stems from the way we call the /etc/rcS script in inittab "::sysinit:/bin/bash -c /etc/rcS".

Once that runs, that particular instance of sh terminates, so the /bin/sh that runs when the console is activated only inherits the PATH variable.

Now, I can here people posing some questions.

1. Why don't we just run /etc/rcS directly without calling /bin/sh?
a. Because if we do, that process just terminates, and busybox loops over and over rerunning it.

2. Why not try something like "::sysinit:/bin/sh -c "source /etc/rcS"?
a. I've tried that, with the same result as above.

We'll have to replace busybox with init, so that we can have different run levels, and do things the way other distros do them.
We were planning that for a while now, but throwing out busybox and replacing it with init will require a lot of work and testing.

Greg