red hat 8.0 and the Speakup Modified

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sat Sep 28 21:25:52 EDT 2002

There is no default speech synthesizer selected in the redHat kernels,
So my understanding of it is if you don't specify one, Speakup won't try to probe for one either.
This means that the most inconvenience a sighted person will suffer is a couple of lines in their syslog about speakup not  starting up,
(which most of them won't even be aware of).
Regards
Aaron
On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 07:19:32PM -0500, Adam Myrow wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Aaron Howell wrote:
>
> > Yes, at the boot prompt you still need to type
> > text speakup_synth=xxx
>
> So, what you are saying is that the default kernel will have Speakup.
> Won't that be a nuisance for a sighted user?  I guess they can just
> compile a new kernel, but that's an interesting method.  Then again, you
> can't really select the kernel to boot with Redhat.  I think it picks a
> kernel based on your system at startup.  Am I right about this?  Will it
> then key on the speakup_synth parameter and know to use a Speakup kernel?
> Just a bit confused, that's all.  Maybe I'll wait until the load lightens
> on the FTP sites and give it a try myself now that I have cable Internet.

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |