should I wait for red hat 8.0?

Nick Pinney | Lutris lutris at wpi.edu
Sat Sep 28 15:36:35 EDT 2002

> they should somehow try to invent a way to use the shell and stuff
> without having to use a speech driver that requires a external speech
> card... like use something like jaws for windows....that would be pretty
> cool....

  Funny you should say that.  Myself and 2 other students at WPI are working
on that for our Junior project.  Have a peek at our webpage, and have my
apologies for the lack of spell checking:

http://www.wpi.edu/~blinux

  If we manage to keep on schedule, we'll have a fully functioning version
by New Years, and will be doing a write-up and a lot of user testing early
next year.

  The current goal, if we can manage, is to get Speakup to use a userland
synth (maybe Festival, or if anyone has a suggestion?) and use a modified
version of TuxTalk for a kernel module when a userland program isn't
available.  Failing all else, we'll make a userland interface for Speakup
and modify a version of probably RedHat to make it fairly easy to install
with that.

--
Nick Pinney             otter.dyndns.org                       lutris@
Lutris                    ICQ #4922123                ugcs.caltech.edu