OCR -- Was "Why I Choose Linux"

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Sun Sep 22 19:53:30 EDT 2002

Ok, please lets not get on this topic of what is expensive and is not and
to who what expensive means. I paid $400 for the scanner I own now and to
me it was expensive, but it'll do what I want and worked with my Linux
box. Well it should once I finish getting things configured, but the
point is scanners are pretty inexpensive and Linux has more support now
then previously.
Got check out http://www.computergeeks.com for some really good deals on
scanners. However, rtfm on what scanners are supported first.
Me, I personally bought a scanner that would do both scsi and usb cause I
wanted it to work now not later. Of course this was about 2 years ago
when I first started trying to get the thing working with Linux. Today I
finally got around to trying scanimage and gocr; thanks Janina for
mentioning them.
If you really need ocr ability, then use what you must to get the job
done. If you can get it working under Linux, that's great!! I for one
choose to sit on my pricy device till I got it working under Linux. Yeah,
I'm slow to getting on something.:)