[OT] IRQs above 15 in Linux

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 19 19:39:23 EDT 2002

At 08:47 AM 9/20/02 +1000, you wrote:
>Actually Linux does use irqs higher than 15.
>i've only ever seen it on smp boxes though.

That's funny you should mention SMP boxes.  This machine of mine is an
SMP-capable machine, but it only has one CPU.  I sort of wonder if extra
IRQ numbers are a part of the SMP spec?  Whatever the case, it effectively
lets me have more cards under Linux than is possible under Windows.  I've
got 4 PCI cards and 2 ISA cards.  They consist of a Dectalk PC which gets
used under Windows, a Soundblaster AWE64, an Adaptec PCI SCSI card for my
scanner, a Smartlink Modem that uses the Topic chipset making it usable in
Linux, and my Linksys ethernet card.  I saw some settings in Windows to use
PCI 2.1 extensions and stuff about IRQ steering, and will look into this,
but I sort of doubt I'll come up with much there.  As you can see, my
system is just full of hardware.  More than likely, I'll eventually get a
new computer and turn this old one into a strictly Linux box and probably
the new computer will be dual boot between some version of Windows and Linux.