Gnome, gnopernicus, and X-Windows questions

Monty Lilburn monty at bc.cx
Tue Sep 17 18:52:22 EDT 2002

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your X-windows/Gnome/Gnopernicus explanation!  It made things
much more clear.  I did manage to find an archive of the Gnome
Accessability list where several threads discussed the trials and
tribulations of installing Gnome and Gnopernicus.  I suppose the question
now is:  Do I have the time it'll likely take to install Gnome and
Gnopernicus given its current state of pre-beta?  It's definitly tempting!

Monty
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Thomas D. Ward wrote:

>Hi. Well, I will preface my message by saying that the gnopernicus team is
>still several weeks away from anything looking like a stable beta release.
>There are many things to do yet.
>
>The gui environment can be broken down into three basic parts. You have
>the X-Windows server. This contains vidio drivers, vidio resolution, and
>is the under lying part of the Windows environment. Then, you have a
>Window
>maniger such as sawfish. Then, you have a desktop, the part you actually
>work with such as Gnome and KDE.
>
>It has been my experience that Gnome and KDE applications can be run with
>either desktop. However, KDE applicationss are not vary accessible because
>they are written in QT which has no screen reader hooks where Gnome
>applications written in gtk+ do or will soon have them.
>
>  To work with Gnopernicus you will need to download the Gnome 2.0.2
>source, build it, and install it. Which is a huge under taking by itself.
>
>Once that is done you will need to check out the Gnome speech server,
>gnopernicus screen reader, and gnome magnifyer, and build, and install
>them.
>
>You will also require either Viavoice rtk rpm, or build and install the
>festival speech system.
>
>Then, you need to change some environment variables here, modify a file
>there, and you might get it talking. As I said you can do things with it,
>but we are not discussing stable and working code yet.
>
>I believe the gnopernicus home page is:
>
>http://www.baum.ro/gnopernicus.html
>
>Hth.

                         SUBMERGED IN THE 6o4 AREA CODE

A proud user of the LINUX Operating System!