Gnome, gnopernicus, and X-Windows questions

Monty Lilburn monty at bc.cx
Mon Sep 16 13:53:51 EDT 2002

Hello,

Recently I have noticed a lot of discussion in various mailing lists and
web-sites regarding Linux-GUI accessibility; in particular Gnome with
Gnopernicus.  This discussion has prompted me to increase my interest in
the subject and has made me want to take the GUI PLUNGE.  I know we're
still in the early stages of things but it looks like Gnome and
Gnopernicus are to the point where a person could begin to use the
interface some-what and certainly experiment a bit.

Though I have used the Linux commandline (via Slackware) for 5+ years I
have more or less ignored everything to do with X-Windows  (accept for the
occasional library).  It is because of this that I am now finding my
knowledge to be slightly lacking on the whole GUI subject.  So I can start
out on the right track I was wondering if someone could either affirm my
beliefs or right my wrongs!

First:  Am I correct that "X-Windows" is a kind of generic term referring
to the GUI environment and the applications, libraries and other pieces of
the interface?

Second:  If the above is on base, am I correct in that Gnome is simply
just one of several desktop/interface methods which allows a user to
interface with X-windows?  Sort of like how there are several flavours
(distrobutions) of linux?  What I mean is that Slackware, Red-Hat and
Debian are essentially different front-ends or organizational schemes for
Linux the same way that Gnome and KDE do to X-windows?

My third question relates to X-windows libraries and applications.  Are
libraries and applications compatible with all "flavours of desktops?"
Can Gnome applications run under KDE etc?  My observations are that they
will not but I am unclear on the reason for this.

My fourth question relates to the entire installation process.  So far I
haven't been able to find a howto or resource which describes how to get
X-windows, Gnome, and Gnopernicus installed and functional with speech
support.

I would appreciate any responses to my above querries even if it is just a
link pointing me off to a good resource.

thanks
  Monty

                         SUBMERGED IN THE 6o4 AREA CODE

A proud user of the LINUX Operating System!