question about microsoft and linux

Ross Eadie ross at infoequity.mb.ca
Mon Sep 9 21:27:26 EDT 2002

At 07:09 PM 9/9/02 , Charlie wrote:
>Heh heh.  Microsoft should drop Windows and expand DOS.  Never happen eh?

On the topic of DOS, has anyone heard what happened with the Open DOS
project that came out of the purchase of DR. DOS?  Last I heard they were
multitasking DOS.  Given my current problem with the stupid SCSI adapter, I
would be considerate of a move to something like Open DOS.

At 07:09 PM 9/9/02 , you wrote:
>Heh heh.  Microsoft should drop Windows and expand DOS.  Never happen eh?
>
>-- charlie.
>

>On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Aaron Howell wrote:
>
>> Microsoft did actually try to move Hotmail from Solaris to Windows NT,
>> and it died in a horrible way.
>> Apparently even they didn't have the hardware required to scale Windows
NT to that sort of application.
>> Interestingly enough, they then successfully moved from Solaris to
FreeBSD on the same Intel hardware.

>> Another case of the same thing,
>> Cisco, after signing a deal with Microsoft, told their employees that
Linux was to be removed from all their servers, and that they were to run
Windows instead.
>> They caused a company wide uproar. Their employees refused to do it, and
management was left with a decision of renigging on their deal,
>> or having to discipline the entire technical staff.
>> Cisco is still running Linux.
>> The biggest problem Microsoft faces is that their is no public access to
their source code,
>> meaning that it doesn't undergo the constant community improvement that
opensource operating systems like FreeBSD and Linux do.