reading PDF documents in lynx update

Monty Lilburn monty at bc.cx
Mon Sep 9 15:11:19 EDT 2002

Some time ago I posted a message to the Speakup list regarding howto read
pdf files automatically from within Lynx and come to think of it I never
updated the list on my progress.  In case you are interested, I did throw
together a solution which works quite well for me.  It is as follows:

1.  Download, compile and install  the pdftohtml source tarball from:
http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net

2.  Add the following line to your .mime.types file:

application/pdf                  pdf

3.  Add the following line to your .mailcap file:

application/pdf; /usr/local/bin/pdfview %s

Note:  I could be wrong and haven't really looked into it, but I couldn't
see a way for lynx to read a html document via standard input so I created
a small shell script which will run the pdftohtml binary and launch a new
lynx process.  The shell script (called pdfview) follows:

#!/bin/sh
FILE=`echo $1 | sed 's/\/\//\//g'`
/usr/local/bin/pdftohtml -q -noframes -stdout $FILE > $FILE.html
lynx $FILE.html
rm $FILE.html

The above works quite well for me.  Maybe someone can explain how lynx can read
a html document via standard input and eliminate the need for the "shell script" method.

Monty

                         SUBMERGED IN THE 6o4 AREA CODE

A proud user of the LINUX Operating System!