is the synthasizer market dying?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Sep 8 02:54:34 EDT 2002

To answer both of your questions in a fashion.
Yes hardware speech is no longer as popular as it once was; with
the advent of software speech and fast processers people have seen less of
a need for another box on their desk to provide speech.
Couple with this the availability of multi-channel soundcards and you can hear
an mp3 and use software speechat t he same time.
this is both good and bad. On the good side we have one less piece
of hardware to look after but on the bad side there are projects like
speakup and emacspeak, and although emacspeak supports
IBM viavoice it is no longer beeing supported under Linux as
far as I know. There are attempts to get eflite working with emacspeak
haven't tried the results myself.

Regarding a program to convert the dos/bios input/output into serial stuff; you could
write one; assembler would be the best language to do it in.
As to communicating with the serial ports; the bios only uses
the polled interface and you'd either want t o find or write some direct
access routines or load a fossil driver.

Regards, Kerry.