redhat and graphical logins

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Fri Sep 6 09:18:43 EDT 2002

Hi, the best way for us to install is to choose the custom install option.
That way we can install what we wish and leave behind those applications
that we don't wish. However, don't sell Gnome short, gnopernicus is coming
along pretty well, and someday probably next year we will have access to
Gnome 2.0.

As for obtaining a text login this can be done in two different ways. During
the installation there is a question that has many items on it such as
default desktop graphical desktop, gui or text login, etc. You could check
it there, and you would get a text login.

Another option is if you are loading in x such as if you had installed X
Windows with Gnome you could do a alt+control+f1 to get to a text login,
login to your box, and open /etc/inittab in your favorite text editor, and
set it from run level 5 to run level 3.

 Naturally, if there is no X Windows you will get a run level 3 text login
by default.
Hth.