4. Implementing php on an apache server. (Mark Rew)

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Sep 4 08:40:49 EDT 2002

Breefly, server side includes is a very small part and  is neither php
nor perl.  Apache has SSI available though with PHP is probably not
really necessary.  I'll bet things would be more secure with server
side includes in effect.  One example of a server side include might
be a function for giving out the date last modified of a page in your
web site.

CGI are usually perl scripts that get executed with post formactions
or by a direct URL.  They stand alone but run on the server.  PHP may
seem similar but it is embedded in your HTML; or at least it is with
every example I've seen so far.  It is also server based as opposed to
client side scripts like java script, perlscript, vbscript, etc.
Those run on the user's machine instead of the server.  that's where
lynx falls flat on its face; it cannot run any client side scripts.
Hence our continual complaints that some web site here and there runs
javascript and us lynx users get left out in the cold!