linux and intel network cards

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 3 20:30:50 EDT 2002

The Intel card I experimented with was actually an on-board card that was
listed as an Etherexpress PRO 100/VE if I remember right.  The thing would
lock up the machine tight with no error message whatsoever.  Occasionally,
just before the hang, I'd get some errors about a timeout on the console.
I ended up using an Intel driver and all my problems went away.  This was
with the 2.2.19 and 2.4.10 kernels under Slackware 8.0.  I really don't
know if the situation is better now for sure, but I do know that looking
at the Change Logs for the kernels up to 2.4.19 indicates that a lot of
work has gone into that particular driver, so I suspect it's better now.