Implementing php on an apache server.

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Sep 3 19:22:35 EDT 2002

Don't put your php scripts in your cgi-bin directory.
Your apache server is trying to execute them as cgi rather than interpreting them as php because of the ScriptAlias directive pointing at your cgi-bin directory, which takes precidence over everything else.
Regards
Aaron
On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 11:58:44AM -0400, Mark Rew wrote:
> List,
>
> I'm getting an internal apache error when I use my lynx browser to test my
> .php script referencing it via the url:
> lynx http://17158-accl.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/experimental.php
>
> The error is:
> "[Tue Sep  3 08:37:01 2002] [error] (13)Permission denied: exec of
> /var/www/cgi-bin/experimental.php failed
> [Tue Sep  3 08:37:01 2002] [error] [client 140.90.24.51] Premature end of
> script headers: /var/www/cgi-bin/experimental.php"
>
> The script appears to work if I execute it from the command line with:
> php experimental.php
>
> I think the problem is in my httpd.conf file.  Do I need the lines:
>
> "<FilesMatch "\.php(\..+)?$">
> SetOutputFilter PHP
> </FilesMatch> "
>
> Currently I have my httpd.conf with the following lines uncommented for
> triggering php.
>
> "# from httpd.conf
> <IfDefine HAVE_PHP>
> LoadModule php_module         modules/mod_php.so
> </IfDefine>
> <IfDefine HAVE_PHP3>
> LoadModule php3_module        modules/libphp3.so
> </IfDefine>
> <IfDefine HAVE_PHP4>
> LoadModule php4_module        modules/libphp4.so
> </IfDefine>
>
> <IfModule mod_dir.c>
>     DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.php index.php4
> index.php3 index.phtml index.cgi
> </IfModule>
>
>     <IfModule mod_php4.c>
>         AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php4 .php3 .phtml
>         AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
>     </IfModule>
>     <IfModule mod_php3.c>
>         AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
>         AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps
>     </IfModule>
>     <IfModule mod_php.c>
>         AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml
>     </IfModule>
>
>     AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
> AddHandler cgi-script .pl
> AddHandler cgi-script .php
>
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/""
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> thanks
>
> ps:  Thanks for the suggestion to change my /etc/sysconfig/network file.  Now
> my hostname command is showing the correct information for ythe host name and
> domain name.
>
> Mark Rew
> e-mail: mark.rew at noaa.gov

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |