modem issues

Patrick Turnage patrickt at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 29 19:07:04 EST 2002

Hi
I have a modem that is a USR 28.8 internal ISA board, I do not believe it
is a winmodem because it works parcially in linux.
I am doing commands like
echo atdt 1234567 >/dev/ttyS3
and the command does not return me back to the prompt, it just sits there
for a few seconds and then it finally dials that number for me..
wvdial can't detect my modem, and when I bring up minicom and watch the
modem and call my number with my cellphone the word ring is not displayed
on the screen..
everything is slow with my modem, I enter ata and it takes a second or so
to answer, and ath and atdt take forever too.. Is this some common issue?
Where should I look to begin finding out what is up with this modem.

-----
Patrick Turnage
E-mail: pturnage at tampabay.rr.com
AOL Instant Messenger: kg4dqk