word processor wanted

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Mon Oct 21 12:49:00 EDT 2002

Hi, Anne.

I might begin by saying I am well aware of Emacs' abilities. I use it for
html and xml writing, and it is vary powerful for mark up languages, and for
C/C++ programming. However, it lacks in one major airea. It has no
compatibility with MS Word document's, and I will tell you that is a major
disadvantage for certain groups such as college students.

At our colleges such as Wright State when the English Profs say they  want
an asignment turned in Microsoft Word format they mean it. Turn it in in
html or something else you will get an F on the asignment. The Offices of
Disability services at the colleges will say that MS Word is accessible with
Jaws, and you have no reason for using anything else but using Word, and the
Prof will give you an F.
So therefore for this reason, and other reasons we need access to Word
Processors such as Star Office that has that compatibility. Weather we like,
love, or hate MS Word we can't bury our head in the sand and say I refuse to
turn in a resume, class document, whatever in Word format because we simply
dislike the format. Unless you are willing to take the college or company to
court and challenge Word format they will turn you down for job posissions,
give you an F on the asignment, whatever. So that is where I am coming from.

Suppose you wanted a job at our local clenic which uses Microsoft Office.
Now, can you imagine telling them I refuse to use Word and Excel, and I will
use emacs and dismal. They'll tell you, "sorry, you don't have the
qualifications we are looking for, and pass you over for the posission."
Point being emacs is vary good for personal use, but in cases of college and
some businesses it is vary inpractical. That's just how things are, and I am
done giving my speech. I'll step down from the soap box.