ip visibility

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Sun Oct 20 19:30:27 EDT 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au wrote:

> hi ppl, I've a curley one for you.
> I have a friend that wants to have one of the machines on his network
> have the ip address of 202.59.96.226
> is this possible and how?

Hmm, it is possible, but as to how I can't help, except that what you want
is some documentation on setting up a nat rule, that is, a rule to map a
local ip address to a remote ip address.  Be warned, this is very
dangerous and is not advised unless you know what you are doing, and can
deal with the resulting intrusion attempts on the rest of your internal
network.

It would probably be safer to set up port forwarding, i.e. anything coming
in for say xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 80 goes to port yyy on 192.168.1.zzz.

HTH

--
Toby Fisher	 Email:
toby at gw0ucu.plus.com Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239