Finally got RC3 of Alsa to build and still the same

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Sat Oct 19 14:18:12 EDT 2002

Yes that's right, RC3 drivers, libraries, and utilities, but RC1
oss package.

Here is the piece from my modules.conf:

# now for some of my own modules
/sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1
/sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
But I am not using the sequencer or the midid option.

Are you certain you do not need the snd-mixer-oss to be loaded
there?

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Adam Myrow wrote:

> Wait a second.  Are you saying you had RC3 and RC1 running concurrently?
> Yes, I had the right modules loading.  That wasn't the problem.  Again and
> again, I hear glowing reports using an SB Live.  It sounds as if the Live
> is a very popular card, and thus the driver is well tested.  I had Alsa
> set up both in rc.modules and modules.conf.  Both ways produce similar
> results.  Here is what my rc.modules for Alsa contained.
>
> #Load Alsa drivers.
> /sbin/modprobe snd-sbawe
> /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-midi
> /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss
>
> Here is my /etc/modules.conf I used which let Alsa load and unload on the
> fly.  It differs a bit from the example in that I used a feature called
> post-install to run commands after loading the modules since the settings
> always go back to muted when the modules unload and reload.  The sfxload
> command is a utility to enable Midi support with the AWE cards, although I
> seldom need it, it is good to have around.
>
>  alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
> post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> post-install sound-service-0-1 /usr/local/bin/sfxload synthgs
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (98% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck