Finally got RC3 of Alsa to build and still the same

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Oct 19 07:15:24 EDT 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Kerry Hoath wrote:

> The last version of alsa I have messed with is 0.5.12
> under the 2.2.x kernel.
> I have had thousands of hours of flawless operation from it;
> and yes that includes ISA cards.

Hmm, do you use Alsa now?  Anyway, I think I will send some questions to
the support team and ask what sorts of things could cause the behavior I'm
experiencing.  For now, I've switched back to the stock drivers, which
work, but have their limits.  Besides not having good full duplex support,
I've found no mixer that lets me unmute and mute the mike so that I can
choose whether I want to monitor what is being received by the mike on the
speakers.  I can tell that Alsa has a lot of potential, but when I posted
that message last night, I was a bit frustrated at my problems.  Sure,
switching to a SB live would probably help out, but this is an old
computer, and all 4 of its PCI slots are currently in use.  I suppose I
could remove the modem since I have cable Internet now, and I've actually
considered doing just that.  However, that is skirting the issue.  Perhaps
the reason that newer versions of Alsa have issues with the AWE64 is
because everybody has stopped using that card.  We'll just see what
the developers say.