more on hardware clock

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Thu Oct 17 19:23:52 EDT 2002

Hi Steve,

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Steve Holmes wrote:

> Tell me, just what the hell is libsafe and what is it good for?  Based
> on Chuck's experience, I don't think I will be doin' libsafe any time soon:).

Libsafe is an evil device created by Osama Bin Ladin which is
designed to bring down the most stable systems in the Western
World!!! I am reporting it to John Ashcroft in the morning.

You will find it in the "extra" directory of Slackware 8.1 and
the description is actually very intriguing. It seems to do the
same thing for ld-linux.so that vsound does for /dev/dsp -- it
intercepts its invocations and attempts to plug a number of
common security holes in lots of software related to buffer
overruns and such. My warmest thanks to Jude who called it to our
attention a week or so ago!!!

Hey Jude, have you tried shutting your computer down yet? <smile>

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck