more on hardware clock

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Thu Oct 17 15:59:57 EDT 2002

Hi Ari and all,

I really blew it yesterday when I hastily deleted the residual
libsafe pieces that the Slackware "removepkg" did not get rid of.
It turns out that the damn thing had modified the linux dynamic
loader to invoke libsafe every time it was executed, and without
the libsafe component I threw away, the dynamic loader was
broken. Try doing ANYTHING on a Linux system with a broken
dynamic loader!!!

Of course I made it worse in my panic and anger, and ended up
having to reinstall my root partition with a new base system and
then scrambling to get my /usr and /home partitions back on
board.

I guess it pays to be more cautious, but I was really on a roll
with putting new stuff on this box and added libsafe hastily.

I appreciate everybody's help with this.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck