word processor wanted

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Thu Oct 17 10:20:47 EDT 2002

I recently aquired the Linux shell box from my ISP when it was being
taken out of service.  I had planned to merge stuff from my old DOS
system with the Linux system to make a dual boot system with speech
synthesizer support for both operating systems.  However, my old hard
drive with all of my DOS stuff on it failed to spin up after it was
removed from its old home in my antique tower.  So, I am now doing
everything with Linux and Speakup--not a bad thing certainly, but I
need to get a few more things running to complete the transition.
The most important thing I need to get running ASAP is a word
processor.  I used Word Perfect since 1987, but I am willing to learn
something new to get things going on Linux if I need to.  I think Red
Hat offers a business package which includes a recent version of Word
Perfect, but I am not in a position to shell out that kind of money
right now.  Is there a word processor out there somewhere that works
with Speakup and Slackware Linux 8.0?  I suppose I could start
writing my own wordd processor in C, but that would be a big project,
and I do not have the time to take on such a monster right now.  I do
not need anything too fancy--it needs to let me edit text which will
be printed onto several pages, must include word wrap, and a built in
spell checker would be nice.  Any hints about where I might findd
such a creature will be appreciated, and I will also appreciate any
pointers to more complex word processors for Linux.  Linux is great,
Speakup is great, I just need to get a few more tools working to
really get this machine working for me.

Thanks for your tips, and have a _great_ day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
_PI = 4 * ARCTAN (1)