setting the hardware clock

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Wed Oct 16 06:29:28 EDT 2002

When I run "clock -w" the command just hangs. I can recover with
control-C. When I "cat /proc/driver/rtc" it says my battery is
okay. When I just run "clock" it also hangs. What can be
happening here?

I have recently installed gobs and gobs of new stuff, but have
not changed the kernel or added or subtracted any modules. The
only new daemon that is running is "libsafe" and I guess that
would be my first suspect.

I normally shut this system down over night but without a clean
shutdown I am obliged to just hit the big switch without being
assured all the steps are complete.

Chuck

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Kerry Hoath wrote:

> normally  you run
> hwclock -u -w
> (if your hardware clock keeps utc)
> or hwclock -w
> if the hardware clock stores local time (dual boot to wi ndows etc)
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 04:57:23PM -0400, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
> > This is crazy, but it seems my HW clock refuses to be set. I
> > normally do not ever set it, since my shutdown procedure does
> > that for me, saving the system time to the hardware clock, and
> > for a few days that step has been hanging so my shutdown
> > procedure never runs to completion!!!
> >
> > What can be happening? What are the commands I can run as root to
> > set the HW clock from a running system?
> >
> > Thanks -- Chuck
> >

> > --
> > The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)
> > So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck