Upgrading from Redhat 7.3 to 8.0

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Wed Oct 16 01:50:18 EDT 2002

Actually, no.
its a fundamental approach which holds that out of the box, a system should run nothing, and its up to the user to make it do what they want.
if the user isn't smart enough to do that, then they have to learn, before they get put at risk.
This is a concept foreign to Windows users where the attitude seems to be, make everything accessible to the world and assume the user will find every little security hole and plug it.
Personally, i prefer the Redhat approach.
Would you configure a home security system to allow everyone into your house by default,
or would you configure it to allow noone in, and require the home owner to specify the people they trust?
I know which one I'd go for.
Regards
Aaron
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:13:54AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Oh, that was probably a concession to people who have had their linux
> systems knocked over by email worms and were very new to linux to the
> point they didn't know how to close down listening ports.
>

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Darrell Shandrow wrote:
>
> > Hi Janina,
> >
> > I had a RH 7.2 system with few modifications; the upgrade worked great!  I
> > don't like the RH defaults, though...  Sometimes, their defaults seem a bit
> > random.  For instance, RH decided that Sendmail didn't need to listen to any
> > outside interfaces by default...  They didn't decide that in earlier
> > releases.  Interesting...

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |