Upgrading from Redhat 7.3 to 8.0

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Oct 15 21:53:13 EDT 2002

There's actually a logical reason for this.
One of the criticisms of RedHat in the past has been that by default, their systems (especially their server installs), have been way too open.
Redhat has taken this on board, and has adopted a stance of enabling minimum functionality by default,
then from there on in, allowing the user to open things as they desire.
This is the reason for things like the sendmail change,
by default a brand new RedHat system shouldn't allow access to anything from anywhere except localhost.
I actually think RedHat should be applauded for listening to its users, because the openness of standard RedHat installs was a well known and well exploited problem.
Just to clarify.
regards
Aaron
On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 06:30:49PM -0700, Darrell Shandrow wrote:
> Hi Janina,
>
> I had a RH 7.2 system with few modifications; the upgrade worked great!  I
> don't like the RH defaults, though...  Sometimes, their defaults seem a bit
> random.  For instance, RH decided that Sendmail didn't need to listen to any
> outside interfaces by default...  They didn't decide that in earlier
> releases.  Interesting...

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |