Making my modem accesible to nonroot users.

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wacker at octothorp.org
Tue Oct 15 21:44:15 EDT 2002

Hi,

     If I remember correctly, you're using wvdial.  If so, put an
ampersand (&) at the end of the command-line.  It might look like: wvdial &
That'll let you have your prompt back.  Next, log out of root, and log in
as yourself.  BTW, a good way to get root access when you need it is to
use the "su" command.  SU allows you to switch to another user.  The
default for the su command is root.  To get root's environment in addition
to root's user and group ID's, use the minus sign after the command.  It
would look like: "su -", without the quotes.  When you exit the shell,
you'll be yourself again.  Also, using your own user once
connected would simplify the use of ssh providing that your name is the
same on your provider and your local system.

          HTH.
          Bill