setting the hardware clock

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Tue Oct 15 18:41:43 EDT 2002

Thanks, Adam.

That says the battery is okay. I have been installing new stuff
like made here, but no kernel changes or anything I can think of
that might affect writing to the clock.
The shutdown failure leaves the keyboard inoperative except for
the speakup review keys. Init has been asked to switch to
runlevel 0, processes are sent the term signal and then the kill
signal, the message about writing time to the hardware clock
appears, then nothing. And ctrl-alt-del is ineffective too at
that point. My sound card remains alive, my internet connection
remain active, and in fact incoming mail continues to arrive (I
have some sound files announcing that fact).

Very strange.

Chuck

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Adam Myrow wrote:

> If your clock quit setting and you've changed nothing, it's possible the
> battery may be failing.  Assuming you have RTC support in the kernel (most
> stock kernels do and it's generally a good idea,) type "cat
> /proc/drivers/rtc."  It will give the time that is in the RTC and will
> show the battery status plus a lot of other info.

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck