system time

jwantz at babel.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at babel.hpcc.noaa.gov
Thu Oct 10 21:57:39 EDT 2002

Hi Charley,
Yes, there is--rdate, ntpdate and netdate to name three of them.  That's
not what he wanted.  In most distros there is a file called
/etc/localtime.  It sets what time zone your system is using.  The file
is not in plain text.  The program in Redhat to manipulate this file is
timeconfig.  I use a script that I put in /etc/cron.daily that uses
netdate to query the 4
nearest NIST servers to set the system time.  It then calls hwclock to
set the hardware clock.