hard to find error

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Oct 7 08:36:28 EDT 2002

Well and for another interesting construct, consider the case
statement.  this is where you can have multiple values for a single
variable and appropriate action is taken for each value.

It goes something like this:
case $var in
"1" )
  statements
;;
"2" )
  statements
;;
esac

Notice the esac (case spelled backwards) <smile>.

Yes, the line number should point you directly to the line in an
editor.  Just beware that the interpreter might be confused or messed
if you left out groupings like parentheses or quotes.