Network card problems

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Oct 5 18:54:21 EDT 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Alex Snow wrote:

> Nope, that's why I'm starting to think it's a dhcp issue.  All it shows is
> the mac address of the adapter and lots of other crap about rx and tx
> packets etc.

ummm.  In my experience, it only shows you the RX and TX packets and stuff
if the interface is actually up and running, which suggests that it's
actually working.  I might be wrong though, it's awhile since I've seen
ifconfig on a device that's not working.

The output of a working interface should look like this:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:18:3D:09:B3
          inet addr:10.2.0.1  Bcast:10.2.0.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
          collisions:981 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6100

Perhaps, if possible, you could send us your ifconfig output.  If the link
light is coming on for a short spell during boot-up, perhaps listen to the
boot sequence to see what's happening.  The relevant bit is not likely to
be in dmesg but you could look there anyway just in case.

Geoff.