Getting rid of Linux

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Oct 5 18:00:15 EDT 2002

I've had pretty good luck  with Parted except for one time when I ran it
off the Slackware Live CD that comes with the boxed version of Slackware
8.1.  The problem was that since the Live CD uses a RAM disk for the root
filesystem and I only have 32MB of RAM, it ran out of memory while
resizing a partition.  When you run out of memory in Linux, the kernel
kills the offending program.  The result was that Parted got killed in the
middle of resizing.  Needless to say, I had to restore that partition from
backup as well as my entire Slackware system.  The moral of the story is
that if you are short on memory, either don't use Parted from a floppy, or
find some free hard drive space to use as swap.  Actually, this seems to
hold true for any disk intensive operations as those seem to be the ones
that eat memory.