Getting rid of Linux

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Sat Oct 5 12:30:16 EDT 2002

Well one thing you could do is before uninstalling lilo, back up all your
linux partitions. Create images with dd, or tar everything in files like
hda2.tar.gz, hda3.tar.gz, etc. Once complete, burn these to cd. If they
don't fit, you'll have to create dd images of each of the tarfiles, and
then span the image (s) across multiple disks. Or if you have a 12gb
tapedrive just copy everything there. Ok now you can uninstall lilo with
lilo -u. Well fortunately the debian installer gives you a second console
to run fdisk, and here is where you would untar the filesystems. Make sure
you have properly created the partitions. I know that under debian they
are mounted under /target, but this may be different for different
distros. Next, mount the device which contains your back-ups, and move
them to the apropriate filesystems. Once you make sure lilo.conf, lilo,
and /boot are in the proper places, reboot the system. Now you should be
able to boot from your hd without re-installing your entire system on the
new box.

microsoft dialogue
   This company has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
   If the problem persists, delete winblows and install linux
   close button